Sunday, 8 August 2010

Sit-ups. Push-ups. David. Church. IRL/URL. Atrophy.

I'm writing this blog as I complete Week 1 Day 1 of the 200 Sit-ups Challenge. I've been doing the 100 Push-ups Challenge for a few weeks now along with my friend Steve. I'm glad to say I can now do 25 push-ups in a row. I thought it was time I started doing the sit-ups on the off days of my push-up programme. I'm not sure I'll actually ever get to the 100 and 200 goals but it feels good to finally do something about taking care of my body.

This is coming from a guy who ate a burrito from Salsas and a bacon-and-cheese hamburger from Grill'd today.

A window to the future
Um, okay so I'm near the end of the set and I'm struggling to do these last 8 sit-ups without cheating. Oh well, it's early days yet. Soon I will possess the rippling midsection of Michelangelo's David. Hopefully I'll have more clothes than him, though.

Okay, that's over now. I spent today at church and "doing church". Unfortunately I slept in and missed the first 15 minutes of the morning service but I was still able to catch my pastor Stu's double-sermon. The first half was about Christian joy and how transformed lives go on to transform other lives; the second half was a vulnerable sermon about the miracles of the Apostles in Acts and how Stu often struggles with these stories, despite being witness to miracles of healing in the past.

That's something I love about my church. Everyone is free to talk about their fears and uncertainties, ask questions and be vulnerable - even from the pulpit.

(Actually, my church doesn't have a pulpit, but whatever.)

After that I had lunch with my friend Reece and met up with my other friends Hannah and Anne-Marie from work. We spent all afternoon together and then went to church in evening. There, as part of the Kingdom Assignment (which I may talk about later) my pastor Ralph talked about the parable of the mustard seed. The Kingdom of Heaven is like the pervasive mustard shrub, he said, but is life-giving and a place of refuge.

After that I went and had dinner with everyone from church. I like that we eat together afterward.

On a different note, would you care to please watch this video and let me know what you think?



I use the term "IRL" but rarely identify my friends as being "from the internet" or otherwise when referring to them in conversation. What do you reckon? I might talk about this again later in the week.

This long-overdue vlog of mine continues to stall. I'm finding that I'm losing all enthusiasm for it. It's obviously best for me to set aside a whole day and just make a video from start to finish. Doing it in stages only leads to... well... what we're experiencing now. *headdesk*

Okay, your song is Crave You by Flight Facilities ft Giselle. It is lovely and tragic.



See you tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Online friendship is a fairly new experience for me and I've been lucky enough to meet all of my close online friends in real life before knowing them even half a year. I may not be the best judge of this topic, but I'll give my opinion anyway.

    I admit, a few years ago I would have thought that video was rubbish. I didn't think that an online friendship was real and was also fairly certain that if I made a friend online they would come and murder me (I think my mother may have had something to do with these fears).

    I certainly don't think that anymore though. My online friendships (few as there may be)are just as valid as my "real life" friendships. I value them just as much.

    Often in "real life" you're put in situations where you do see the same people all the time and once that situation stops, the friendships die with it. I have only a very small group of friends that I still see from high school even though I considered a lot more people to be my friends. That happened almost as soon as graduation rolled around. That small group of friends I have I would say I have strong friendships with. It's lasted because we wanted it to last and put the effort in to keep the relationships alive. Not because of circumstance.

    Similarly, I think if an online friendship lasts, it is a strong friendship. It is very easy to simply not talk to someone online (unless they force themselves on you)so you're putting that effort in, just like the strong "real life" friendships.

    All of that being said, I had a friend who began to only live her life online. She barely left the house, stopped coming to school and pretty much lost all of her friends "In real life". Her friends online who I talked to seemed to be great people but I don't think it was healthy for her to be not having any kind of "real life" social interaction.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that 'online friends' can be true friends, and that those relationships can be very meaningful. I guess what I see as a main distinction/danger between the two is that it's much easier to separate your online friends from the rest of your life.

    Even if you don't pose as someone completely different on the internet, online friendships can very easily be very secretive and shut out from others. If you hang out online, chatting for 5 hours a day, it's very easy to hide that from others. Unless you refer to the friendship among others, no one will see your skype or IM chats. In real life, others would probably notice this friendship as you would have to be physically in the same place. I think that can be a potential danger, as online friendships can get very intense with very little outside input from others. (Of course, it's possible to have secretive IRL friendships too, but it's not nearly as easy)

    I think online friends can be great, and on an equal level to IRL friends, but I guess the dynamic of how they work out can often be different to friends IRL, for good and for bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no! I almost didn't comment on this today! That would've RUINED comment every day August! I didn't have time to watch the video about IRL/URL friends (crazy day) but I love it when Christians are vulnerable. So often we feel like we need to appear perfect, but that just makes others feel like they have to put up a front too and all of a sudden no one is being honest about their struggles. Every has trouble, no one is perfect. So let's stop acting like it, eh?

    ReplyDelete