Saturday, 28 August 2010

Mockingjay (spoiler-free, I think)

I just finished Mockingjay. I stayed up even though I think I'm supposed to go to church early tomorrow morning. I've been away for this entire term though - what with going on holidays and sleeping in that one time - so it seems like going for the last two weeks is a total waste. Also I haven't heard from Mat about it (my own fault - ugh) so I'm completely not prepared. Why did I volunteer if I'm not going?

Anyway, I really liked it, but not as much as the first two. What I loved about the series was how Katniss was able to take situations that were out of her control and then flip them so she ended out on top. This one is more like THE WHOLE WORLD'S OUT TO GET YOU AND THERE'S NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. It's still a compelling read, but had less of a V For Vendetta feel than the other two. Even so, I can tell I'm going to be ruminating on it for days. I'll go back to this series and love it as much as I did when I first read it; I can tell.

Okay I really need to sleep. Here's Cosmic Love by Florence & the Machine. It plays at work and I like it.

4 comments:

  1. I really want to read the Hunger Games. I've heard such good things about them and I haven't read any new series in a while.

    I just went on facebook and saw a rather dashing picture of you come up on my wall. I believe it was from Hannahs Party. http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/photo.php?pid=5402963&fbid=424264751745&id=538431745

    Naturally, I then went through the whole album. The suit over the t-shirt thing actually looked okay. Super suave. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still haven't read the Hunger Games and, while everyone seems to really love them, I'm definitely not going to have time to start them any time soon. =(

    Not going to church always snowballs for me. I'll have something to do one week and then it'll be someone's birthday and then I'll be on vacation and all of a sudden it's been three months and I've only gone to church twice. You should probably go if you're a volunteer, though... That seems important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. go get some sleep and read some more when u are fully charged hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you like (and STILL like) the music that plays at work. When I briefly worked in a shop for a couple of months the music used to drive me crazy. The music itself wasn't that bad, but it was so repetitive. The compilation CD must have been only about 3 or 4 hours long, and the same CD was on repeat... all day... for a MONTH. (And hardly anyone came into the shop, so it was pretty much all I heard all day)

    Sadly, some John Mayer, Michael Buble, and Norah Jones songs which I formerly liked now make me shiver as I remember the mind numbing dullness of that job.

    ReplyDelete