Saturday, 7 August 2010

A happee. Work. Alice and Kev.

Today was a long day. However, despite my initial skepticism I did actually end up working in the kid's section today at work. It was probably the best day of work I've had in a long time. I felt useful and productive. I slipped back into the routine I remembered from working in the kid's section last Christmas:
  1. Clean up small mess left over from previous day
  2. Help customers
  3. Do story time
  4. Go on break
  5. Clean up colossal mess left in my absence
  6. Help customers
  7. Go on lunch break
  8. Clean up colossal mess left in my absence
  9. Help customers
  10. Go on break
  11. Return to find nobody was really there to make a mess
  12. Help the few remaining customers
  13. Chase customers out of the store with pointed questions
  14. Go home with aching feet and a happy heart

At least, number 14 is how it worked out today. Maybe if I keep working there I'll get bored of it, but probably not. I just like helping people, and parents with read-needy kids are the most helpless people in the world. "My son read a Harry Potter... AND NOW I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO! I never knew there was so much reading for to have!" I compassionately take them under my wing and load them with as many YA books I can. "Here," I tell them, "These will help your boy imagine others more complexly." Then I dramatically touch my earpiece and say "I have to go! Somebody needs me in Political Science!" They are always very impressed.

The only bad thing about working there is when you have to duck out and do something else (such as to help someone in Political Science), only to return to find an explosion of books torn from the shelves and lying all over the floor. You know that scene from Inception with the exploding fruit? It's like that, only with books and caused by small children. The parents take a furtive look and, upon seeing the area free of staff, quickly gather up their toddlers and flee the scene; half-full coffee cups and ground-up cruskits left hither and thither as a final "thanks for your service!"

It's okay though; it's still my favourite.

Once I got home I found Mum made fish and chips for me. As you can imagine I has a happee.

In other news, I found a link to this blog called Alice and Kev while I was on Tumblr today. It's a story of two Sims in The Sims 3 who are homeless. I read it from start to finish in about an hour and it's a really good read. You'll laugh and you'll probably cry. These characters will surprise you.


Okay, I think I'm going to go to bed so I'm not a zombie for church in the morning. Your song is the ABC News theme remixed by Pendulum.



The Australians in the audience may well get more out of that one than anyone else. Oh well.

See you.

4 comments:

  1. Rohan, I want to thank you from the bottom of my heart for referencing Inception. I can very clearly picture your work now. Of course, I'm picturing you working on the side of a French street, but still... Your description of your work made me laugh quite hard, especially the bit about touching your earpiece and disappearing. We never get to do stuff like that in the lab where I work. It's too science-y and professional for theatrical disappearances... Maybe if I wore glasses, I could take them off when I was relating some interesting data, but I don't even have that! Consider yourself lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow that remix is awesome!! So clever.

    If I worked in a book store I think I would be best suited to the childrens section. Despite all the cleaning that would be involved.

    Is the children's section the bit with the awesome tree? That may or may not have been wearing glasses? Best kids section ever.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoy when you blog about your work because I can sit back and nod knowingly. Cleaning up the kids section is always the pits for me because children's library books are always slightly sticky and more often than not covered in a bit of drool and smell slightly of cereal, but not in a good way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aww, story time? CUTE!

    I love childrens and YA books... My career goal in life used to be to become a Children's Librarian. That seemed to be to be the BEST JOB IN THE WORLD. I guess deep inside me somewhere that still is what I'd love to do. Instead, I'm moving towards being a teacher. However, I am writing my dissertation/thesis on summer library reading programmes for children, and I love it so far. :)

    ReplyDelete