Tuesday, 9 February 2010

The story so far

Hello once again my lovelies. It occurs to me that I haven't actually blogged since my request for people to sign up to my mailing list. Alas, some things have changed since then. You've probably heard already, but my trip to Peru didn't work out. Increasing security concerns have meant I can't go until things settle down again, which sucks, but is unavoidable. And so, instead of looking toward an intimidating, yet certain, short term future in South America, I am looking towards a safe, yet completely uncertain long term future somewhere, anywhere, else.

Good grief. So many commas. I told myself I'd reign them in, but to no avail.

Right at this very moment I'm sitting at the dining table at my friend Jess' house in New Zealand. She and my other friend Denise live closer to Auckland city than Lewis does (I'm currently staying with Lewis) so I'm staying here for a few days to see the sights. I'm feeling sort of reflective and peaceful, but I need to get some thoughts down and express my worry about what on Earth I'm actually going to do with myself now. I mean, that's a little silly since I've stopped feeling sorry for myself by now, but the fact remains - I don't actually know what I'm doing.

A lovely subscriber of mine by the name of Stephanie sent me a package just before I left for NZ. Thankfully the package was not full of anthrax - as the television would have had me believe - but was full of Jesus Culture CDs. So I'm listening to "Your Love Never Fails" by Jesus Culture, which has been a great comfort to me since my plans were abruptly thrown into turmoil. Its line, "You make all things work together for my good", while not strictly theologically true, is still a good reminder of the real verse upon which it is based: Romans 8:28.*

I hate to sound like some starry-eyed, Christian cliché, but I know this will work out for the best. We are told that following God means surrendering our own plans. Almost every testimony I've heard has included some variation on the line "Jesus came into my life and messed it all up, and I couldn't be gladder." It's a cheesy line, as if we couldn't see the end coming as soon as you started, but whatever. It has proven true for my own life so far, and it is a sentiment repeated by all sorts of Christian people I hold in high regard. I don't know what's coming, but I'm sure it will be something good.

You stay the same through the ages,
Your love never changes,
There may be pain in the night, but joy comes in the morning,
And when the oceans rage,
I don't have to be afraid,
Because I know that you love me,
Oh, your love never fails.


Okay, I'm going to go to bed. I'm sleeping in the lounge room and I bet I'm going to be woken up early in the morning. I'll try and blog more often, it's nice.

R

*The verse actually reads "And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose." If we truly believed that God made all things work together for our individual good, we raise a lot of problems and basically reduce Christianity into a huge, rule-ridden, tradition-bound version of The Secret. Instead, the verse is clearly focused on the people of God as a whole, working together in community and forsaking our individual gain, such as in Matthew 10:37-42, and would be better sung as "You make all things work together for OUR good."

No comments:

Post a Comment