Thursday, 5 November 2009

Quick short update. You know how it is.

As I write this short blog post I am listening to David Crowder Band through one ear because my headphones decided to stop working on the left side just now, tonight. I'm rather upset by this actually because it means I now have no possible way to descreetly listen to things on my laptop through more than one ear.

I'm thinking that I might just have to go ahead and buy an iPod shuffle (which comes with earbuds) because my iPod battery has been on the decline for the past two years as well. I can't really listen to it unless it's plugged into the wall. I got it for my 17th birthday. Hey, I don't like to just frivolously upgrade my technology okay? There are people starving in the world.

I'm kind-of-sort-of on track with NaNoWriMo in that there are periods of surprisingly efficient writing punctuating my general mood of artistic dispair. Still, I have a sense that Things Are Getting Better, and for that I am very thankful.

Everyone at work has apparently been saying that I look better with black hair than I did with my normal-coloured hair. My friend Alex told me at work today. She's got my back. That's good and bad, I suppose, because I was worried I would look silly with black hair and everyone would just be polite about it and not tell me. Well apparently they genuinely like it, but now they like it more than the actual hair my body is capable of producing, which leaves me with this uncomfortable feeling of inadequacy.

Please everyone leave comments suggesting what I should ask to get engraved into my iPod when I order it tomorrow. If nobody actually suggests something usable then I will just put an emoticon on the back, like: <(^^,)>

I feel bad spending $100 when I obviously need to be spending it on plane tickets and travel insurance for next year, but I freaking need headphones and a portable music player that actually works.

Not spell checking this. Feel free to laugh at my silly errors.

Recommendation: Matilda by Roald Dahl. This was one of my very favourite books growing up. This little girl bought it today while I was working in kid's. "They say books are better than the movies" she said to me, very earnestly. "Yes," I said, "I often feel that way too." Matilda the movie was OKAY but good grief why would you move a story so CLEARLY set in England to America? Usually I don't get all thingy about movie adaptations but that movie would have been better set in the UK. Just saying. Anyway, Matilda made me want to be smarter so that one day I would be able to make objects float around the room. It was the first book I ever read that actually convinced me that education was cool.

5 comments:

  1. Engrave 'I LOVE WHATABOUTADAM', I dare you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Too bad they can't engrave animals. You so need a chicken.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Engrave, P.S. I'm The Proud Publisher of the Poultry Press

    ReplyDelete
  4. If I wanted something engraved into an iPod, I know that I would first look for a good quote from my favorite TV show, movie, book, etc.

    The phrase "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good" literally just popped into my head, and that's probably the best I can come up with for you. I'm rubbish at coming up with clever things like this, lol. I do know you love Harry Potter too because a) who doesn't? and b) you dressed up as him for Halloween, so I feel confident that it's not a completely illogical/lame suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you would like "Le Petit Prince" of Antoine de St Exupéry (sorry, I only have the French references). It's wrote in a different style but it's about children cleverness too.

    ReplyDelete