Tuesday, 10 November 2009

I don't know what this is.

Okay so I'm doing a few things, and procrastinating-blogging is one of them.

First, look at this picture.


Isn't it lovely. (Notice the full stop indicating a statement rather than a question? They used to have a mark for that, but it got cut AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW WHY - more on this later)

This is the point in the blog where all my female friends start to feel uncomfortable under my lecherous male gaze. Poor things.

Another thing: I actually bought my plane tickets to New Zealand and Peru today WOOHOOZOMGZOMGNOWAI. I actually have next-to-no money now, which is rather sad, but that's how it goes.

Oh snap I need to email Dan and let him know when I'll be arriving/leaving etc. Later.

HEAVENS ABOVE I have not even thought about NaNoWriMo in three days. Well actually that's a lie. I am living in a constant state of guilt. My life is a misery why oh why did I ever decide to do this I am never going to live this failure down. Look, I'm even using run-on sentences. I'm that upset about it. This is an actual problem, you guys. What am I going to do?

Thing is I really believe in the story I'm trying to write. I'm trying to express an idea that I've been ruminating on for a while now and I think it's completely possible to do within the realms of a fictional story. It will be amazing: rich in metaphor, compelling characters with a strong developmental arc; I can already see the final product in my mind and the (completely justified) international acclaim it will receive upon its immediate publication.

But I am not writing that book right now. Right now my book is largely a self-obsessed one-dimensional fanfic of my own life. HOORAY! I am a hack, you guys.

Thing is (Yes! Another 'thing is'!) I think all authors feel this way. I need to keep reminding myself that NaNoWriMo is about creating a rough-rough-rough draft which will then go into several years of editing and rewriting. It would help if I could do word wars with people. That way it's all about the words and not about trying to write an internationally acclaimed novel which will be turned into a blockbuster indie-hipster movie starring Ellen Paige.

Another thing I'm supposed to be writing is my essay about distributing ideas on social networks via digital video. It's supposed to be 2000 words long and currently I have a rough outline of what I would like to write about should I ever start. I think this is going to be a GREAT WEEK.

Onward I move from strength to strength!

Recommendation: I am running out of off-the-top-of-my-head recommendations for books. I'm casting around my room and all I'm seeing that's worthy of recommendation bookwise are books that I know are good but which I haven't read. Instead today I will recommend a CD, A Collision (or 3 + 4 = 7) by David Crowder*Band. This is probably one of my all-time favourite albums in the world. It's like, a story? Kind of? But it definitely isn't a story. And there are themes! And... a Sufjan Stevens cover... and some bluegrass... with some rock... and a phone conversation at the end! Underneath the phone conversation is the violin solo from The Lark Ascending which, by the way, is what I want played at my funeral. So yeah, basically you should just track it down and listen to it because it is fully awesome. Kthx.

2 comments:

  1. "This is the point in the blog where all my female friends start to feel uncomfortable under my lecherous male gaze."

    Haha, sweet.

    ReplyDelete