Thursday, 25 December 2008

Two Christmas Songs

Merry Christmas! I am writing this with half-an-hour of Christmas left, but by the time I finish it will be well and truly Boxing Day. Let's never mind that - the Americans are all pretty much worried about their families or they are sleeping, and are not worried about my blog.

(For those of you who don't know, it appears most of the people who read The Fillet Skillet are American teenage girls; but that is an aside - we were talking about Christmas.)

I want to copy Don Miller here for this post. Partly because I admire Don for a number of disparate reasons, and partly because in his latest post on his blog which is pretty good gosh darn it he has done what I have been doing pretty much every Christmas-and-Easter since I've had a blog: showcasing what has made me think about Jesus-and-the-season.

Don has many different sorts of things that have made him go glassy-eyed. Pictures and songs and quotes from Shakespeare. It's all very amazing. I just have two songs, and no quotes from anything, because I am simple (take that statement how you will).

Adoration, by the Newsboys:



I actually listen to this each and every Christmas (and at other times too), just for the following lines:

He raises a wrinkled hand through the dust and the flies,
Wrapped in rags like we are,
And with barely open eyes.
He takes my finger,
And he won't let go,
And he won't. Let. Go.
It's nothing like I knew before and it's all I need to know.

I could wax lyrical about how beautiful/incredible I find the whole God-sending-his-Son thing is, but I won't. I did that earlier this month. I just love the imagery of the song, and that it breaks out into joyous proclamations of "and all I have to give him is adoration!"


The fact that I have nothing but my adoration to bring to Jesus for Christmas is something differently beautiful. This Christmas song captures it perfectly, and is one of my favourite Christmas songs ever.

The other song is Sixpence None the Richer's cover of Carol of the Bells - my all-time favourite carol.



I like the carol because it is dramatic and beautiful. It reminds me of the good times I've had at Christmas without referring to snow and sleighs all the time. YOU CAN HAVE A GOOD CHRISTMAS WITHOUT SNOW AND COLD THANKYOU PLEASE.

But that is a post I may compose and share next year. For now just enjoy the YouTube-compressed sounds of Christmas flowing from your tinny computer speakers.

Tomorrow I'll probably brag about all the things Santa gave me. Beware.

1 comment:

  1. Haha- oh no! I'm one of the american teenage girls :-O Pshhh I'm not a girl I'm a lady. (hahaaa)

    Gotta love the newsboys- their so much fun. I love that song too.

    ReplyDelete