Tuesday, 2 December 2008

AusOne Sydney YouTube Gathering

I promised the people a post about Sydney. This I will do right now. I'll save you the blow-by-blow account of what happened, because I know we'll both lose interest in that. Instead I'll talk about it generally and (hopefully) succinctly. That seems the best plan.


You have to put a picture of the Opera House if you went to Sydney, right? It's like a rule or something. I actually forgot how beautiful a building it is. You see it so many times on tourism Australia and tourism New South Wales ads that you just stop seeing it after a while.

Rob getting personal with my blue hoodie
As lovely as the Opera House is, my friends a lovelier. I got to spend almost the whole four days with Leuke, Chris, Rob and Mitto. Plus I got to hang out with John, Greg and lots of others for shorter periods of time. Generally I didn't take many photos. I was having too much fun to pull out my camera and make everyone feel awkward.

I promised I would make this picture public
The gathering itself was fun, but not as awesome as the other things that happened that weekend. It didn't help that I had to leave to check into my hostel. When I got back everyone had gone to Manly and I didn't get to meet them again until hours and hours later. The time we all spent in the pub that night was a lot of fun though - lots of laughter and nerd-jokes.

Leuke, being happy. Happy-happy.
It was fantastic seeing some people for the first time in a year, and other people for the first time ever. A lot of people I wanted to see pulled out and didn't go to the gathering at all, but there were plenty of friendly people there to make up for it =) I love going to these things a lot - even though my IRL friends don't understand it.

Zara and Franziska: on the monorail - stoked
Just as our favys were leaving for home Zara and Franziska, some German backpackers moved into our room at the hostel. They were great fun to have around and we all went out sightseeing together. Yay for new friends!

There's no way I can keep up with all the super-amazing people I met in Sydney this year and that makes me very sad. I hope people don't think I'm a snob for not adding them all to Skype and talking to them every day =\ But enough about sad things; the trip was a success and I can't wait for the next gathering (I'm hearing whispers it's at the end of June!) I just love that I stumbled into this community of people. It's brought me times like this and I'm so grateful ^_^

3 comments:

  1. I wish I could be that blue hoodie.

    *LAWL*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Plus I got to hang out with John, Greg and lots of others for shorter periods of time.

    Greg The Gnome or Greg The Person ('RobotMan')?

    ReplyDelete