Thursday, 31 July 2008

Not-So-Beautiful Collision

Last Monday my IRL and online selves collided in a scream of broken glass and twisted metal and dirty looks.



My lecturer for my Digital Publishing class decides to cover Web 2.0 aggregator thingies like digg and twitter. (I put those two together because although they are vastly different in the way they are used they often fill the same function).



'Yay!' I exclaim. I love twitter. It's a really handy thing to add 'spur of the moment' flavour to blogging and to help keep me in touch with my friends.



Then he put up my twitter profile for everyone to see. I thought that would be okay. In my mind I'm always aware that anything I put online is available for a n y o n e to see. I guess if each and every one of those people found it individually it would have been different. As a whole class it was it was kind of embarrassing.



Not unbearably embarrasing, but enough to make me look like I "have no life". Also my profile picture didn't help. I have a life. I sometimes tweet the things I do so my friends can share in it. What's wrong with that?



Anyway, now I am 'that guy' in the class. It's a bit of an awkward position to be in, particularly when I can't contain my enthusiasm for all things webby. I guess this was to be expected though. That's just what happens when you put stuff on the internet.



You won't be laughing once I'm rolling in HYPOTHETICAL INTERNET MONEH!!!



(ooooh Southpark ftw)

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha, don't worry, I'm totally "that girl" all the time. Pretty much all my friends know now and they choose that to be the first and one of the only things they say about me when introducing me to other people.

    hooray

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is subject-appropriate...a bit of language, but still good humour.
    http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/4/23/

    ReplyDelete