Tuesday, 22 July 2008

World Youth Day 2008 (WYD08) Part 1

As you may know, last week I went to World Youth Day down in Sydney, New South Wales. Even though I was only there for the last four days I had a brilliant time! Every day was fantastic and I got to meet up with a lot of my friends who I don't see very often. I also made one or two new ones!



Day 1



After a ridiculously early start, my friends Jacinta, Ellen and I arrived in Sydney and were greeted by our friend Hendra and his wife Marshella. While waiting for the bus we saw our first pilgrims. I love the pilgrims. I really miss them now I'm home. We didn't do much during the day because we were all so tired - particularly me, who didn't sleep the night before. We did go out for lunch at a local shopping centre though, where we saw more pilgrims. There were seriously pilgrims everywhere; they were all so excited and open and happy.



That night though (after a nanna nap in the afternoon) we went down to Darling Harbour. It was completely, utterly the most amazing thing I've ever seen. Jacinta and Ellen went to see Phantom of the Opera while I met up with riverbasil (Nick) and the THOUSANDS UPON THOUSANDS OF PILGRIMS. Seriously they were all in Darling Harbour for some free concerts that were on. There was literally dancing in the streets. There were pilgrims flowing in from all parts of the city for a solid five hours.



Unfortunately I can't prove any of this right now because I forgot my camera that night (Stupid! Stupid!). I'll have to get my friends' pictures and show you later. For now, here is a picture of three nuns wearing official World Youth Day backpacks:



Nick and I wandered around awestruck for the first bit, grabbed dinner, then hit the concerts. I was wrecked by the time he went home, but I stayed around waiting for Jacinta and Ellen to finish with Phantom. When they got back we decided to go to the Watershed bar for a quick drink. While there we bumped into another Gold Coast girl also named Jacinta. It turns out she hangs out around the same places we do here in Queensland. We ended up hanging around her and her friends from one of the Catholic churches on the GC for a couple of hours.



It was really great to meet some new people and make some new friends, but soon we were all exhausted and caught the bus back to Hendra's place.



It looks like this entry is getting far too long, so I'm going to cut my retelling into two or three bits. They won't be long in the coming!

3 comments:

  1. I miss the pilgrims too :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cynth Horcasitas24 July 2008 at 20:27

    Oh my gosh ive just seen ur videos at youtube, and ure SO COOL
    xD Carpe Diem!

    ReplyDelete