Saturday, 29 March 2008

Looking for Alaska

I finished the viscously passionate vampire romp that is Twilight but haven't had the persistence to finish Thirteen Little Blue Envelopes. The library wants Blue Envelopes back or they say they'll start getting mad and charging me money. I'm actually halfway through, but for some reason whatsherface has has begun to resent her dead aunt for sending her on the adventure of a lifetime and I'm finding it really frustrating.

Is it normal to despise the main character of all the books you read? It happens to me all the time. I just can't stand them. Who said they were so important? Ungrateful attention seekers - all of them. Harry Potter is actually the worst of them all. Don't get me started on Harry, please. That's not to say I don't like the books. I love them. But Harry; he needs a good slapping.

I espied John Green's first novel Looking for Alaska while I was at the library, and being a person lacking any kind of self-control I promptly borrowed it out and began to read it immediately. I have to say that so far it's one of the best pieces of youth fiction I've read since Looking for Alibrandi by Melina Marchetta.

That's a pretty big claim, I know, considering that Alibrandi actually made me cry when I read that really depressing bit. Apparently I like books where the title is about looking for someone.

This is the point where people from highschool laugh at me because I cried at a book we studied for Year 11 English. But I don't care. I don't want to give anything away, but that was a freaking tragedy.

(EDIT 2/Apr/08 12:33AM - Well John let it out of the bag. The 'depressing bit' is a suicide.)

Also what I'm loving at the moment is John's use of punctuation. He even uses a question mark and an exclamation mark together. I don't want to put words in his mouth, but I bet he would be a supporter of the interrobang; a bit of punctuation I've had a crush on for a years now, but which I can never use because people look at you funny.

Next it looks like I'm going to read the Harry Potter series again, start to finish. Fallofautumndistro has gotten the jump on me with it. He's a slow reader though, so I'll catch up soon enough.

EDIT 29/Mar/08 11:45PM - "I sat in my quarter of the car and smoked, wondering why the old woman at Coosa Liquors didn't just pull that one hair out of her mole." - Potentially the funniest quote from Alaska so far.

1 comment:

  1. I often wonder about main characters, that perhaps they are just an embodiment of the authors' sense of self-importance... Admittedly I don't read much fiction, but even via the movies I've felt the inclination to slap Mr. Potter. (Why is everyone so hell-bent on martyrdom?)

    I found it hilarious, though, that one of the pieces of fiction I had read in the last 10 years or so was "Looking For Alibrandi" and I haven't struggled to like a character more than my experiences with THAT book! (The only vaguely likable character in the whole book kills himself. And to be honest, I couldn't blame him. If I was stuck with those people I imagine I would've done the same thing myself. lol.)

    ReplyDelete