Wednesday, 26 March 2008

Easter 2008

Every Easter or Christmas there is usually one thing that stops me and makes me reevaluate the way I think of the holiday. This Easter it has been three things.

The other week my friend Steve found a sick baby bird and began to nurse it back to health. He made this video:

I know Steve didn't know how provocative that would be for me but when he said How could something so innocent just die? it made very tangible to me what happened way back at the death of Christ.

The thought that is was done for me of all people is outright mind-blowing. Those thoughts mix with the bridge of a song by David Crowder*Band called "Do Not Move"

The costliest of costs
The deadliest of loss
The wonder of the cross
The breath of life that stops
The hope of heav'n bought
The wonder of the cross
The wonder of the cross
Of the cross
I don't want to move
Breathe in deeper now


How odd that in such a death I can find the greatest victory - such that I shall find that same victory in my own death when it comes.

For some reason it is the death and not the resurrection which I find fascinating this year. Perhaps another time I will muse on the words why do you look for the living amongst the dead? and the exciting possibility and controversy attached to them.

Finally, the song "Deathbead" by Relient K. It's more of a story than a song; about a man who lived a pretty depressing and terrible life. He is about to die of lung cancer, but near the end of the song Jesus appears to the man and says:

Before we go up, I thought we might reminisce. See one night in your life when you turned out the lights you asked for and prayed for my forgiveness.

You cried wolf. The tears they soaked your fur. The blood dripped from your fangs. You said 'what have I done?' You loved that Lamb. With every sinful bone. And there you wept alone. Your heart was so contrite. You said 'Jesus please forgive me of my crimes. Sanctify this withered heart of mine. Stay with me until my life is through. And on that day please take me home with you.'


And I suppose without the last one, the impact the other two had on me make no sense at all. I don't think I've done any of the things the dying man did in the story, but this song always gives me the shivers because it is exactly how I feel about the redemption in my own life.

The cross is so wonderful and terrible; I know it will hold my fascination forever.

3 comments:

  1. I love Relient K. I saw them in concert once. I think David Crowder too but I'm not 100% sure one that one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was a sad... but as you said, provocative, video. I'm subscribed to englishteaboy and I hadn't watched it until now.

    I like Deathbed too, that song and that video makes me cry. Infact, what Jesus did for us even though we are so unworthy of it, makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Are you involved in any of The Cross and The Icon "happenings" (for want of a better word, lol)?

    ReplyDelete