Friday, 1 February 2008

Sweeny Todd: Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Phantom Cow does movies. Yes, she really is a ghost. No, I don't know if she's completely safe. Yes, there is a story behind her.

The thing about talking about movies here is that I'm really talking to an international audience on the internet. While many of the readers may be Australians, just as many will be signing in from anywhere overseas - where movie release times are different.

Australia is known for releasing movies only after they have already become success stories at the US Box Office. I guess it's safer that way for Aussie cinemas. But anyway, what that means is that I'll never be able to talk about a movie intelligently in a timely enough way for my US audience. That is, unless I'm talking about some Australian film, like Kenny which I strongly suggest you track down and watch. "There's a smell in here that'll outlast religion." Classic.

I just hope that my US readers will humour me while I occasionally talk about a film that I've seen just a day or two ago, but was shown in the States about three months previously.

I love musicals. I won't deny it - I love them. I mean, High School Musical has given them a rather bad name lately, but musicals are pretty good usually. Hairspray was really good in my opinion.

Sweeny Todd: Demon Barber of Fleet Street, is no different. Sure, it may be one of the most graphically violent movies I've seen (you might be able to tell, I don't DO Hostel et all). But I thoroughly enjoyed it all the same. It was even funny in places. The song about who to bake into pies was particularly good.

My friends Tom and Jay-Dee were sitting either side of me while we watched Sweeny go about his business with London's male population and all we could do was cover our eyes and laugh at how much blood there was. The people sitting behind us must have thought we were a bunch of loonies, laughing as gentleman after gentleman gets his throat cut. All the while Mr Todd sings "I will have my revenge! I will have salvation!"

So I suppose the moral of the story is that you shouldn't go and see this movie if you have a weak stomach, but otherwise go ahead. Murdering random people for profit has never been presented in such a jolly, gory way. Well I suppose it has been, considering it was a musical for stage before it was adapted to the silver screen but you know what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment